See Nath's sculptures at Turquoise Tortoise Gallery & Tubac Center for the Arts, AZ
She's living the dream in the old wild west, with her husband Ron, her dog Jesse and her Harley.
Years ago Nath graduated from Oregon State University and practiced for eons within the risk and financial management field. She served on multiple foundation and nonprofit boards of directors. Searching for more, Nath returned to academia for postgraduate study, learning and lecturing in political science, emergency management and homeland security. She specialized in the rising discontent within global politics; the deadly cyber and street dance between We the People and their regimes.
In 2014, a mysterious illness brought Nath's postgrad studies and lecturing to a crashing halt. After years of pain, along with the discovery of multiple areas of spinal damage, she was diagnosed with autoimmune diseases of fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis. With neuropathy causing dysfunction in her arms and legs and brain fog stealing her words, Nath had to learn how to use her hands, feet and mind all over again. She refused to spend hours in therapy driving away her days, so she devised her own plan and began hiking in the desert, creating and painting paper flowers. Staggering around and mangling tissue paper… that was her life. If you could only have seen her then! She can laugh about it — now.
Her mother is a sculptor whose influence has always been strong, so… Nath's hands have their good days and her art has evolved. After much trial and error, she has established a sculpting process that is ever evolving, making each Nath Raye creation a unique, one-of-a-kind work of art.
Inspired by the beauty of nature, each sculpture Nath creates begins as a natural piece of cactus wood or fiber found in the Chihuahuan or Sonoran desert.
Along with her faithful dog Jesse, Nath loves to wander the wild west borderlands, dusty from boots to floppy hat, pulling and pushing her trusty red wagon up over rocks and down into arroyos. This is where she finds the sun baked cactus carcasses, roots and plant debris she transforms into sculpture.
After these long treks under the hot sun, after dusting off and drinking copious amounts of water, Nath is back in her studio. Hours, weeks, months go into reclaiming these cactus roots and fibers - scrubbing and scouring embedded sand, dirt, gravel; peeling thorns and bark; hollowing and smoothing cavities; picking crusted bark out of whirls, curves and crevasses; and painstakingly separating razor-thin cactus fibers. Once the cactus is prepped, it's ready for the layers and layers of treatment which transform the cactus into a rich, glowing unique work of art.
It can take years, but each find reveals it's innate feeling and form to be created. Nath finds inspiration in the beauty etched inside each cactus piece’s strong, enduring fibers, which encapsulate the resilience residing within. Once she has captured the design in her mind, the cactus is then hand-formed, sculpted, and painted. As result, both hard and soft cactus fibers come together with a silky, luminous sheen. Each sculpture is finished with several coats of UV protective clear coat, then mounted on a base specially chosen and prepared to complement its structure.
A picture can only do so much; this website strives to do justice to Nath's collection of mesmerizing, beautiful art, showing you photos in different lighting and locations. When you bring a Nath Raye sculpture into your home, its depth of meaning, jewel coloring and luminous glow will fascinate as it evolves and changes with the light.
* Nath only uses dead cactus carcasses found only in legally accessible areas of the desert, and never, ever tears live cactus from the ground.
Florida State University Doctoral Studies at Askew School of Public Administration and Policy- Coursework: Public Policy Theory, Public Administration, Organizational Behavior, Institutions and Society, Logic and Ethics, Analytical Techniques- Research Areas: Responsive Regimes and Their Institutions, Coalitions, Political Protests, Civil Liberties, Cyber and Human Security
Florida State University Graduate Certificate: Emergency Management and Homeland Security- Coursework: Emergency Management, Emergency Management Planning and Policy, Disaster Recovery and Mitigation, International Comparative Disaster Management, Terrorism
University of New Mexico Doctoral Studies in Political Science- Coursework: Social and Political Movements, American Politics Research Areas: Legislative Bodies, Public Interest, Economic Policy, Political Protests
New Mexico State University Master of Arts in Government; Minor in Intelligence and Securities- Thesis: Understanding Swarms: Weak Ties and the Digital Platform in Political Protests, Chair Dr. Nancy Baker- Graduate Coursework: Political Theory, American Politics, Cyber-politics, Global Protests, Regime Cybersecurity, Comparative Politics, Mexican American Politics and Issues of Social Justice, US-Mexican Border Policy, Nationalism, Qualitative Research Methods
Oregon State University Bachelor of Science in Business Administration; Major Marketing, Minor Social Sciences- Certificate in Women Studies
Tubac Center of the Arts, 2023. Facilitator, ProPath for ArtistsMentor, Emergency Management and Homeland
Florida State University, current. Mentor, Emergency Management and Homeland Security Certificate Program, Disaster Planning, Foundations of Emergency Management, online
New Mexico State University , retired. Adjunct Professor, Dept. of Political Science
- Courses: American Politics, Political Science (classroom and online), International Politics - Guest Lecturer, American Presidency, Citizen & the State, Political & Social Movements- Graduate Assistant Instructor, Dept. of Government, Political Science- Graduate Teaching Assistant, Dept. of Government, Regents Professor Dr. Nancy Baker
Florida State University Guest Lecturer, Askew School of Public Administration and Policy, Graduate Theoretical Perspectives Public Policy
Harmening Financial Partner, Certified Public Accountant and Financial Services firm- Daily operations, strategic planner, risk and contract negotiator- Executed strategic plans, marketing, joint ventures and client liaisons - Analyzed business trends, formulated strategic marketing, and business plan
Oregon University System Facilities Management Analyst, Chancellors Office- Capital Construction Business officer, - Performed fiduciary due diligence- Allocated legislative limitation and funds, monitored contracts- Executed construction budget, monitored budget timelines / processes.- Conducted policy analysis, formulated and presented draft legislative policy
Publications & Presentations
- Publication: SWARMS: Global Political Protests and Regime Response, LAP Lambert Academic
- Panel Chair: Understanding and Responding to Crisis, Resistance and Extremism, Academic Council on the United Nations System, Global Governance Conference, Kadir Has Universitesi, Istanbul, Turkey
- Panel Participant: Swarms: Global Political Protests and Regime Response, International Human Rights Conference, Kadir Has University, Istanbul, Turkey
- Panel Participant: Understanding Swarms: Weak Ties and the Digital Platform in Political Protest, Southwest Social Sciences Association Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Presentation: The Swarm Effect in Political Protest, Graduate Research Symposium at New Mexico State University
- Film Credit: The Next Megaquake, BBC Horizon Science & Nature Program,
- Graduate Certificate: Emergency Management and Homeland Security, Emergency Management and Homeland Security Program, Florida State University
- Professional Development Certificate: FEMA, Emergency Management Institute, Department of Homeland Security
- Certified Insurance Counselor: The Society of Certified Insurance Counselors
- Registered Representative: Securities License 6 and 63, Mutual Fund and Annuities Representative, FIRA
- Property and Casualty, Life and Variable Life Insurance licenses: Oregon, Washington, Missouri and Arizona
- Certified Risk Manager coursework: National Alliance Insurance Education and Research
Copyright © 2023 Nath Raye - All Rights Reserved.